15 April 2010

Okinawa awaits

The Miyakojima Strongman triathlon is this coming Sunday, 18th April and tomorrow morning I should be on the 6.35 am flight from Tokyo Haneda to Naha, then transfer for Miyakojima. Hopefully my bike in its bike case will arrive with me, there have been warnings about full planes but I'm assuming the majority of competitors will send their kit earlier this week, or even last week, which is the normal way folk do sports events here. Golfers, skiers will post their equipment several days before an event or holiday usually to the hotel they'll be staying at.

Miyakojima is only 400km from Taipei in Taiwan, but is over 1800km from Tokyo, so its going to be a vastly different world when I step out of the plane on the small island.

Its going to be warm for sure. 25 degrees, 91% humidity. Its the humidity which I cannot prepare for at the moment, the last month in Tokyo has been quite cold and wet.

I've rested enough this final week, Saturday was the last cycle/run for 110km/10km, followed by the Zushi beach swim on Sunday. Just a couple of pool swims since then, saving the rest of my energy for Sunday now.

Right now, I think the 3km swim will be really nice. Apart from the odd foot or arm in the face, and assuming I don't get pushed under water by the other 1500 competitors that is, but I'll be starting at the back well out of the way of any fast swimmers.
For the cycle, the course should be stunning, with great views out to sea and 3 small islands connected by long causeways which we cycle around. Its utterly flat, which might sound good, but my training rides have all been in the mountains. This means that although I regularly cover the distance, for half the ride I'm going downhill, so you get a rest and recover in time for the next bump. This flat course will mean I have to pedal the whole 155km.
If I'm to complete the whole distance, then the cycle MUST be done at ease, I think this will be the most difficult thing to do. The whole island will be out cheering us on, so it will be very tempting to speed up and finish the ride as soon as possible, but I must remember that theres still a marathon to run after this scenic ride...

My best plan for the marathon right now is to jog between aid stations, then walk and rest at each station. There will be stations every 3km, with water, bananas etc. No doubt, the run will be tough. I expect the second half will be a world of pain.

Completion before the 13.5hr time limit is my only goal, and its not a generous time limit, so it will be a real accomplishment if I get to the end.

Gambarimashou!

2 comments: