1 April 2011

Kyushu

This gives an overview of my final tour in Japan, a ride planned at the beginning of the year when the biggest natural disaster in Japan was the volcanic activity of Shinmoedake (same volcano as used by Blofelds hideout in "You Only Live Twice"). This volcano was spewing ash on the immediate area, and causing disruptions to airports in Kyushu in the same manner as the Icelandic volcano closed airports in Europe last year. Originally this area was on my wishlist of places to visit as its a great hiking area crossing the caldera tops, but right now its out of bounds.
Overall, I saw plenty of the island all at a very comfortable pace, stopped at plenty of sights and enjoyed the local food and hospitality. People really were waving, saying hello, giving me fruit and taking their photo of me, it really was a different experience to riding around the central belt of Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment